Stomp out Stigma
The Issue: Student Mental Health
Mental illness can happen to anybody regardless of age, culture, race, gender, ethnicity, economic status or location. Today, mental health struggles are a leading impediment to academic success among college students. Mental health affects relationships, academics, success and overall well-being. Issues, such as depression, anxiety, and eating disorders - in the college student population are associated with lower GPA and higher probability of dropping out of college. Yet because of lack of education and an unnecessary shame that surrounds the issues, mental health is not discussed and too many students are suffering in silence.
Why should you be concerned about student mental health?
- The average age of onset of most mental health disorders is 18-24.
- 1,100 college students die by suicide each year making it the 2nd leading cause of death on college campuses.
- 44% of college students report having felt so depressed in the past year it was difficult to function.
- 2/3 of students who need help don’t receive it.
Active Minds’ goal is to help students become emotionally healthy before they reach the point of crisis. This includes:
- Empowering students to speak openly about mental health in order to educate others;
- Supporting students in making lifestyle changes that promote sounder mental health;
- Encouraging students to seek help when they need it;
- Providing information, leadership opportunities and advocacy tools.