Are you passionate about making a difference? Interested in mental health education and awareness-building? A great team player?
We want to hear from you!
Active Minds offers three-month internships in the Fall, Spring, and Summer. Interns who can commit to more than one semester are especially encouraged to apply.
Our internships are geared towards current college students and recent college graduates. Please note that the internships are unpaid, and you must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week. All internships are based at our national office in Washington, DC, unless otherwise noted. Start dates and end dates are flexible.
- Check back soon for details regarding fall internship opportunities!
Details about each of these internships are below.
To apply, send your resume, cover letter, and one reference to email@example.com. Please include the internship you’re interested in and your availability dates in the subject line.
We review internship applications on a rolling basis:
- Summer 2021 application review is closed.
Our programs internships will build your project and program management skills. You’ll primarily work with one or more of the following programs including Chapters, Send Silence Packing, and/or the Active Minds Speakers. At times, you may be asked to support the Communications, Operations, and Development departments as needed. You’ll experience a collaborative work environment and will gain an insider perspective into how nonprofit programs operate. If you have a specific program interest, please note this in your cover letter.
Interns work on a wide variety of projects depending on the time of year, current initiatives, grants and special projects, and the skills they bring to our team. Some of the common skills required to succeed include:
- Research, writing, editing projects
- Administrative and data entry support
- Assisting with small and large-scale virtual event planning and coordination
- Design/creative projects
- Communications, outreach, blog writing, and marketing support
- Data collection and evaluation
- Other duties may be assigned as needed
- Excellent writing, email etiquette, editing and research skills
- Ability to work in a flexible, fun, and strongly team-oriented environment
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, and reliable
- Creativity and a can-do attitude
- Able to work independently and take initiative
- Basic knowledge of Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs, Zoom, Dropbox and Slack
- Excellent technical skills and social media savvy
- Desirable but not required skills:
– Fundraising experience
– Experience setting up zoom meetings and webinars
– Public speaking and/or webinar facilitation skills
– Video editing experience
– Student leadership experience
Applicants of all majors and minors are encouraged to apply. This internship may be particularly relevant to students studying public health, business, marketing, communications, social justice, education, psychology, sociology, community organizing, or health communications.
Are you passionate about mental health? Are you looking for a way to sharpen your communication skills within an organization? Are you a student leader who enjoys motivating others to join your cause?
Apply to join our team for a semester as Active Minds’ communications intern!
As part of the communications and marketing team, you’ll learn how messaging and media can support a nonprofit’s mission. Communications interns get an up-close look at how Active Minds’ robust marketing programs, including social media, blogs, earned media, partnerships, and more, impact and grow the important work of our network of 800 campuses, workplaces and communities with Active Minds programs, all across the country.
You’ll strengthen your communication skills as you help develop messages that motivate people to get involved with Active Minds and in mental health advocacy. You’ll navigate cross-departmental lines developing projects in partnership with the program and communications teams and you will have a direct impact on the success of communication plans that support the entire organization!
The communications intern is an important member of the team who supports all types of projects – big and small – to continue to move our mission forward.
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Attention to detail
- Team player with a willingness to learn
- Social media experience
- Passion for marketing and communication
Please submit two writing samples with your application.
Are you passionate about mental health? Are you looking for a way to use your skills in organization? Are you a student leader who enjoys motivating others to join your cause?
Apply to join our team for a semester as Active Minds’ development intern!
As part of the development team, you’ll learn about the vitally important work of supporting a nonprofit’s mission by inspiring supporters — truly the inner workings of a nonprofit organization that few people have the opportunity to see. Development interns get an up-close look at how Active Minds financially supports a network of 800 campuses, workplaces and communities with Active Minds programs, all across the country.
You’ll strengthen your communication skills as you help develop messages that motivate people to support Active Minds. You’ll strengthen your people skills by supporting fundraisers and advocates passionate about our work. You’ll navigate cross-departmental lines developing projects in partnership with the programs and communications teams. And you will have a direct impact on the success of nationwide fundraising initiatives that support the entire organization!
The development intern is an important member of the team who supports all types of projects – big and small – to continue to move our mission forward.
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Attention to detail
- Marketing, business, and/or customer service skills
- Experience with college fundraising a plus (i.e. Fundraising/Philanthropy Chairs of student organizations)
Do you have graphic design skills and enjoy working in a collaborative and creative environment?
Apply to join our team for a semester as Active Minds’ graphic design intern!
Because our mission is to empower young people to open the conversation about mental health, we highly value the point-of-view, creative ideas, and skills of our graphic design interns.
We will work with you to create a semester where you’ll gain experience and accomplish your goals while helping us tackle all kinds of needs, both big and small, in the areas of social media, print production, email marketing, graphics, video, and more. You’ll have fun and will have a big impact.
The graphic design intern works under the supervision of Active Minds’ Visual Brand Manager and alongside Active Minds’ Contract Designer on a wide array of projects spanning the semester.
Skills & Qualifications Required
- Familiarity and experience with Adobe Creative Suite is required.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude who enjoys working proactively and thinking creatively.
- Accustomed to working on multiple projects with different deadlines simultaneously.
- Comfortable with both taking initiative and working collaboratively.
- Ability to communicate well with others and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Stickler for details and quality.
To apply, follow the application process above, and please include samples or a link to your design work.