Position Title: Director of Chapters
Status: Full Time
Location: Flexible, Washington, DC preferred
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
The Director of Chapters at Active Minds, in collaboration with other leaders across the organization, will design an overarching strategy to deepen and scale the nationwide impact of Active Minds’ Chapter Network, effectively and consistently mobilizing thousands of diverse K-12, college, and university students to respond to calls to action for mental health. Through dynamic and visionary leadership, the Director of Chapters will drive innovation and strategic thinking among all members of the Chapters Team to support Active Minds’ key goals and objectives within school mental health.
The Director of Chapters will direct the overall strategic growth and vision of the Active Minds nationwide Chapter Network and supervise four staff who compose the Chapters Team at Active Minds. The Chapter Network is one of Active Minds’ flagship programs, unique for its macro student-powered leadership, creativity, and mobilization. The Chapter Network is a key component of Active Minds’ ongoing strategic plan and the Director of Chapters will ensure the consistent progress towards the strategic goals of the team. This includes robust chapter/corporate partnerships, vast and impactful mobilization of chapters, and chapter growth throughout K-12 schools, colleges, and universities. They will also work highly collaboratively with the Active Minds Higher Education and K-12 Initiatives teams, among other Active Minds staff members.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
- Scale Chapter Mobilization and Impact: Develop and lead a strategy to effectively and consistently mobilize thousands of diverse students to respond to calls to action for mental health through Active Minds Chapters. This work includes:
- Leading and innovating creative, cutting-edge chapter programming and partnerships
- Ensuring that efforts to address mental health are led and informed by young adults
- Strategically growing the chapter network and increasing the diversity of chapter membership each year
- Strengthening and embracing chapter activation/student engagement models
- Providing macro chapter technical assistance, trainings, and support for leadership development, mental health education, and chapter-to-chapter networking
- Leading and managing Active Minds’ committee for chapter advisors and developing new initiatives to better support advisors nationwide
- Staff and Team Management and Supervision: Oversee the work of a team of four professionals ensuring cohesive and strategic forward progress of their respective projects, professional development of the individuals, and general individual team and individual support. Establish a strong sense of team cohesion and inclusiveness among the Chapters sub-team.
- Cross Team Collaboration: Work with colleagues across the team to ensure collaborative and complementary forward movement that mutually benefits the overall goals of the organization and provides insight, opportunities, and guidance with respect to chapter-related work.
- Alignment with Active Minds’ Strategic Plan: Creative and proactive alignment with the overall strategic goals of the organization. Ensure that the Chapters team projects and plans are supportive of the five-year strategic plan and beyond. Engage with colleagues, internally and externally, to meet and exceed goals.
- Trends and Data Tracking: Monitor and communicate trends and learnings in the field to inform the work of the team. Be willing to speak externally with the media and professional communities about our work and its relevance to current trends and issues.
- Evaluation and Research: Work collaboratively with the Research and Evaluation Team to document Active Minds’ impact through rigorous internal and external evaluation and research.
- Administration: Manage budgets; maintain and track organized records in the organization-wide CRM system, Salesforce; and participate in cross-department committees and initiatives.
- At least five years of experience leading regional or nationwide community/field organizing efforts, youth mobilization, volunteer management and/or other related work
- Track record of managing a team of people towards a common goal
- Highly organized, goal-oriented, supportive and inspiring in a leadership role, creative, and strategically-minded
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief
- Advocate for social entrepreneurship and a believer in young people making an impact
Minimum salary for this position is $80,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick time; paid federal holidays; health, dental and vision coverage; and 401(k) matching. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.