Status: Full Time
Location: Flexible, Washington DC preferred
Benefits: Comprehensive; Listed Below
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
Active Minds is seeking a Chief Marketing Officer for this new era of our organization. The CMO will be responsible for setting and leading a comprehensive and aligned marketing and communications strategy on multiple platforms that maximizes the organization’s external positioning and presence, including conveying our brand and key information effectively and consistently to our valued internal and external stakeholders.
This Chief Marketing Officer will bring extensive experience and thought leadership to how Active Minds is portrayed to external partners and audiences, including the young adults that the organization mobilizes, donors and partners, and the general public. This position provides the strategic and tactical decision-making to guide the department on topics including, but not limited to, marketing, social and digital content, public relations, advertising, and overall communication optimization efforts. As a member of the Executive and Leadership Teams, this leader will ensure effective cross-departmental collaboration with the program and development teams and work regularly with Senior Leadership and other staff to uphold the Active Minds mission and brand.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS:
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
- Set and lead marketing goals, objectives, and KPIs that progress Active Minds’ 2023-2028 strategic plan in alignment with the organization’s brand, mission, and values.
- Execute the organization’s purpose by broadcasting our mission to raise awareness on both local and national levels, with a particular emphasis on tactics that mobilize youth and young adults.
- Lead strategic direction of marketing, social and digital content, public relations, advertising, and overall communication optimization efforts.
- Prioritize reaching underserved populations and ensuring marginalized groups have interest in and access to Active Minds’ resources and information. Help address health equity issues within the conversation about mental health.
- As a strategic partner to the Chief Program Officer, bring creativity and thoughtful marketing guidance to aid in meeting grant and programmatic goals.
- As a strategic partner to the Chief Development Officer, willingly aid in developing compelling offerings for funded partnerships, including toward cause marketing, corporate, and strategic funding partnerships.
- Build the organization’s brand and influencer relationships especially for partnerships that provide major visibility or engage new funders.
- Monitor emerging issues among key stakeholders such as young adults and their adult champions, philanthropy, corporate settings, and government.
- Build best in class, data-driven marketing practices with a focus on centering and amplifying the voices of youth and young adults in Active Minds’ communications and attracting and retaining engagement and awareness among youth and young adults.
Leadership, Staff Management and Organizational Strategy:
- Directly supervise 3-4 senior marketing staff, developing their skills and confidence so that they can mentor, encourage, and motivate all staff on the marketing team, and all team members can continue to grow. Create and support a high performing culture in the marketing department aligned with the organization’s core values.
- Establish individual staff goals and objectives. Hold staff accountable and track results against agreed upon goals.
- Deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward organizational goals. Develop a team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively toward mission and goal, by clearly communicating the vision for the department.
- Participate in the budget development process alongside other executive leaders, and oversee the marketing budget including ensuring that the team maintains a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Support development efforts through the promotion and execution of annual fundraising events and by partnering with the Chief Development Officer to steward funding relationships.
- Represent the organization on relevant committees and task forces, as well as at speaking engagements, conference panels and training.
- Determine staffing plans to achieve marketing goals and objectives and participate in hiring decisions for new marketing staff.
- 15+ years experience successfully leading multifaceted and growing marketing teams within a fast paced and growing organization.
- Extensive experience in nonprofit marketing and communications efforts.
- Deep understanding of the complexities of marketing to varied audiences, specifically in mobilizing the next generation while asserting prominence and brand strength to donors, corporate and nonprofit partners, adult supporters, and foundations.
- Strong social and emotional intelligence: ability to engage with a variety of stakeholders and key audiences.
- Deep understanding and use of data/analytics in the development and measurement of marketing strategy and tactics.
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief.
- Experience with InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Canva or other design tools; web and social tools including WordPress, or other similar products; CRM systems (ex. Salesforce).
This position offers an initial salary range of $140k-175K along with robust benefits. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount. The role sits within Active Minds Level 8 (C-Suite) salary band, and as such, has the potential to grow to $210K over time. FLSA Status: Exempt.
Active Minds has an industry-leading and competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Company Wide Mental Health Days, 401(k) Matching, HSA and FSA Options, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Fully Paid Parental Leave, Wellness Reimbursement Program, and Professional Development Stipends.
Active Minds recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
Active Minds is an equal opportunity employer that works to advance racial equity and social justice in an increasingly multicultural and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background, intersectional identities, and lived experiences. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities. Active Minds encourages all to apply for our open positions as we depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.