Status: Full Time
Location: Washington, DC
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
The Development Associate, Stewardship and Operations is a vital contributor to Active Minds, providing essential support for the organization’s development and fundraising initiatives. This person will be responsible for entering and maintaining accurate records of contributions and donors, acknowledging gifts to Active Minds at every level, and supporting the various fundraising activities of the entire Development Team. Additionally, this person will have a leading role in stewarding current and prospective supporters to ensure that our community feels appreciated and valued each time they engage with us. The Development Associate, Stewardship and Operations will report to the Development Manager, Operations in addition to collaborating with other staff to support the entire Active Minds community.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS:
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
- Process donations and payments for the entire organization in a timely manner
- Prepare invoices for pledged and awarded contributions/grants
- Run reports for team members and leadership on campaign/fundraising progress
- Help build mail/email lists for donor communications
- Support Operations and Finance departments to ensure reconciliation between accounting systems and donor database.
- Compile and maintain detailed instructions on development-specific operations and procedures for the organization’s database manual
- Assist with prospect research to gain deeper insights and effectively connect with potential donors
- Coordinate the acknowledgment process for all donors to ensure timely stewardship
- Act as an initial point of contact for donors via the development inbox and phone line and ensure a positive donor experience through excellent customer service
- Maintain a tracking system of development-related inquiries
- Assist in leading “surprise and delight” efforts to help our donors know how important they are to Active Minds
Additional Responsibilities (20%)
- Liaise with Operations and Finance departments to ensure reconciliation between accounting systems and donor databases.
- Maintain and regularly update our organizational profile on various charity rating websites, such as Charity Navigator, GuideStar, and Great Nonprofits
- Regularly meet with the full Development and Communications teams for campaign brainstorming and high-level collaboration
- Actively participate in Active Minds’ Anti-Racism and Inclusion plan, engaging in internal committees and personal growth initiatives to contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizational culture
- Supervision of Interns and Volunteers (as needed)
- Fulfill any other duties as assigned, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability to contribute to the overall success of the organization
- Passionate about the work of Active Minds with a drive to go above and beyond in recognizing our community of supporters
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief
- Detail-oriented personality with a commitment to providing a high-quality of work
- Affinity for working with data, tables, graphs, and spreadsheets
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, over the phone, and in writing, and with fellow staff members
- Ability to meet deadlines, as well as to manage up and across teams to ensure they are met.
- Accustomed to working on multiple projects with different deadlines simultaneously.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude who enjoys working proactively and thinking creatively
You Need to Have
- 1+ year of related experience in an administration, operations or development setting
- Experience with Salesforce and other databases a plus
- Full digital-literacy, including Microsoft and Google products, and online meeting tools
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
Active Minds is an equal opportunity employer that works to advance racial equity and social justice in an increasingly multicultural and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background, intersectional identities, and lived experiences. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities. Active Minds encourages all to apply for our open positions as we depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
This position offers an initial salary range of $50-55K along with robust benefits. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount. The role sits within Active Minds Level 1 salary band, and as such, has the potential to grow to $65k over time. FLSA Status: Exempt.
Active Minds has an industry-leading and competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Company Wide Mental Health Days, 401(k) Matching, HSA and FSA Options, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Fully Paid Parental Leave, Wellness Reimbursement Program, and Professional Development Stipends.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.