Development Manager, Operations
Position Title: Development Manager, Operations
Status: Full Time
Location: Washington, DC
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
The Development Manager, Operations, will play a key role in supporting the efforts of the entire Development Team at Active Minds through knowledgeable and strategic oversight of our development operations systems, including donor/contribution record management, moves management support, financial reporting, list preparation/segmentation, and more. Reporting to the Director, Individual Giving, this person will take the lead in improving existing processes, identify areas for increased efficiency, and set expectations on development operation practices for team members. This person will also supervise the Development Associate, Stewardship & Operations.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization mobilizing young adults to change the culture around mental health. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
Record/Data Management (50%)
- Be responsible for the gift/payment entry procedures for the organization (checks, credit card, ACH/EFT, stock/securities, etc.) implemented by the Development Associate, Stewardship & Operations, ensuring timely and accurate information is captured.
- Establish ongoing processes for data hygiene, including review of contact information, household conventions, and potential duplicate records, as well as coordinating with cross-department teammates (including Active Minds’ Salesforce Administrator and Research & Evaluation team) to ensure the Development team is aligned to organizational needs and norms.
- Develop and improve source-based tracking systems for gifts (i.e. campaign tracking).
- Perform large-scale data (batch) changes, including large imports, exports, and updates.
- Ensure development operations structures are aligned with Active Minds’ ARI (Antiracist and Inclusive) principles that help foster a diverse and inclusive community of donors.
- Create written policies for gift/record creation in CRM for consistency.
Development Team Support (40%)
- By request, build donor lists for annual solicitations, event invitations, and general development communications, including detailed segmentation groups based on previous giving and/or engagement.
- Monitor and report on performance of mail and email campaigns to help inform future fundraising strategies.
- Actively participate in development-led strategies to dismantle white-supremacy structures that exist within fundraising/philanthropy.
- Support the Chief Development Officer and Director, Individual Giving by pulling regular year-to-date (YTD) reports that accurately reflect progress on goals.
- In collaboration with the Director, Individual Giving, create structure for a moves management tracking system in CRM to help front-line fundraising efforts.
- Create regular reporting structure that allows development team members to track on progress to goal (with previous year comparisons).
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Be responsible for management of the invoicing structure to track awarded funds.
- Regularly meet with Finance team to reconcile revenue in accounting system.
- Serve as primary contact for third-party donation platforms.
- Participate fully in Active Minds’ Anti-Racism and Inclusion plan, including serving on internal committees and continuing personal growth and knowledge gaining.
- Supervision of Interns and Volunteers (as needed).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passionate about improving the culture around mental health and supporting the fundraising initiatives that fund our life-saving programming.
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief.
- Strong attention to detail and organization, especially when it comes to data management and reporting.
- Knowledgeable about moves management structures in nonprofit fundraising.
- Able to prioritize tasks, organize time effectively, and respond to changing deadlines; must have ability to manage multiple tasks at a given time.
YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- 4+ years related experience supporting or managing development operations in a nonprofit setting, or a high level of transferable experience.
- Strong knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM for nonprofit fundraising.
- Strong knowledge of current industry standards and best practices in development operations.
- Fully digital literate, including Microsoft & Google products, and online meeting tools.
This position offers an initial salary range of $65,000 – $70,000 along with robust benefits. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount. The role sits within Active Minds Level 3B salary band, and as such, has the potential to grow to $92,000 over time. FLSA Status: Exempt.
Active Minds has an industry-leading and competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Company Wide Mental Health Days, 401(k) Matching, HSA and FSA Options, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Fully Paid Parental Leave, Wellness Reimbursement Program, and Professional Development Stipends.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical
authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
Active Minds is an equal opportunity employer that works to advance racial equity and social justice in an increasingly multicultural and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background, intersectional identities, and lived experiences. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities. Active Minds encourages all to apply for our open positions as we depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.