Position Title: Sales Manager, Speakers
Status: Full Time
Location: Flexible, Washington, DC preferred
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES
Active Minds is seeking an experienced sales professional with a proven track record of client cultivation, contract negotiation, and revenue generation. The Active Minds Speakers program is composed of 20+ professional speakers and trainers who present nationally, both in-person and virtually. The Manager’s responsibilities will include working in a team to create outreach and engagement strategies to effectively promote the sales of Active Minds’ signature revenue-generating programs. This position will report directly to the Senior Manager of Speakers.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
- Programmatic Sales: Manage the full spectrum of the sales process from lead generation, to client cultivation, to contract negotiation of Active Minds’ portfolio of programs including virtual and in-person speaking events, V-A-R® trainings, documentary screenings, curriculum, and Active Minds @ Work training and workshops. This includes:
- Identifying prospective clients, lead generation, and conversion
- Cultivating a pipeline of new and existing relationships
- Communicating with new clients to discuss needs of specific events or training needs
- Negotiating prices and terms and prepare booking confirmations and contracts
- Client Management: Ensure a superior client experience from first contact to post-contract, when the booking is smoothly transitioned to the Event Manager and Associate. This includes:
- Fielding inquiries from prospective clients and hosts
- Drawing up initial contract and invoice with contracting clients
- Reviewing, revising, and negotiating external organizational contracts with clients
- Resolving any client conflicts and issues that arise during the booking process with the support of the Sr. Manager of Speakers and Speakers Team
- Revenue Generation and Strategic Growth: Ensure that the Speakers program serves as a primary revenue-generating and mission-setting arm of Active Minds. This includes:
- Engaging with the Active Minds strategic plan
- Following updates on mental health current events and identifying ways that Active Minds may be able to proactively respond in a supportive and timely manner
- Pitching Active Minds @ Work content and Speakers Program to various K-12, college, university, and corporate audiences
- Speaker Liaison: Maintain a strong connection with professional Active Minds Speakers to ensure program integrity and team morale
- Recordkeeping and Client Pipelines: Ensure highly organized database record keeping. This includes:
- Maintaining and updating Salesforce data with leads, prospects, and upcoming bookings.
- Cultivating a pipeline of new relationships and repeat clients
- Providing timely and accurate reporting to Sr. Manager of Speakers on statuses of bookings and projects
- Departmental/Organization-wide: Support other programs and teams as needed. Ensure relevant milestones delineated in the Active Minds strategic plan are met or exceeded on time. As needed, represent Active Minds at conferences, meetings, trainings, and other events. Participate in organization-wide miscellaneous duties as needed, including supporting the National Conference and participating on cross-department anti-racism and inclusion committees
- A minimum of 2-3 years of event sales experience and managing a pipeline of various clientele
- Experience working in a CRM system; Salesforce preferred
- A creative problem solver
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as individually
- Able to prioritize tasks, organize time effectively, and respond to changing deadlines; must have the ability to manage multiple tasks at a given time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief
- Advocate for social entrepreneurship and a believer in young people making an impact
Minimum salary for this position is $60,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick time; paid federal holidays; health, dental and vision coverage; and 401(k) matching. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.