Position Title: Senior Manager, Research
Status: Full Time
Location: Flexible, Washington DC preferred
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
The Senior Manager, Research will be responsible for positioning Active Minds as a thought leader in the field through rigorous, data driven, and innovative research. The Senior Manager, Research will oversee Active Minds’ growing research portfolio to expand Active Minds’ expertise in improving mental health for youth, young adults, and young professionals. This includes designing research studies, overseeing all implementation activities, ensuring generalizability, and publishing key findings. The position reports to the Director, Research and Evaluation.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
- Manage research projects to elevate Active Minds’ presence as a thought leader on mental health research for youth, young adults, and young professionals, by collaborating with stakeholders to ask thoughtful and innovative questions, design research studies, manage project timelines and process, and share findings.
- Serve as a thought partner on the Research and Evaluation team to provide innovative and data-driven strategies to enhance Active Minds position as the go to mental health resource for youth, young adults, and young professionals and key stakeholders in that work.
- Serve as a resource to Active Minds staff on updated research and emerging issues which advance mental health for the populations served across Active Minds robust and growing portfolios.
- Ensure all research activities are being designed with high technical rigor, implemented with integrity, and produce results with high internal validity.
- Coordinate, and potentially, deliver presentations and trainings relevant to research findings; this may include representing Active Minds at key national conferences to expand presence within the field.
- Draft, review, and publish peer-reviewed manuscripts, briefs, data reports, white papers, and other written materials relevant to key audiences for a variety of audiences across a variety of platforms.
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Program Associate, Research, with a key goal of ensuring all research activities are fully supported.
- Build cross functional relationships across the department and organization. Participate on cross-department committees.
- Oversee the program’s financial data, including programmatic accounting, creating budgets, and ensuring budgets align with the department’s overall budget.
- Maintain and track organized records of project details and communication in the organization-wide CRM system, Salesforce.
- At least five years of project or research management experience, with a minimum of 2 years of direct management experience
- Experience developing, refining, and executing research projects grounded in theory and best practices across teams and organizations
- Ability to utilize quantitative (SPSS, SAS, R, etc.) and qualitative (NVivo, Dedoose, Atlas.TI, etc.) data collection and analysis tools and strategies in order to interpret data and translate findings to recommendations or action
- Interest in youth and young adult mental health and mental health programs and skills to develop deep content expertise
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with history of peer-reviewed publications and the ability to deliver effective presentations and trainings and write reports and business correspondence
- Education in public health, health promotion, psychology, sociology, and/or other social sciences
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and drive to hear, reflect, and act on this belief
- Advocate for social entrepreneurship and a believer in young people making an impact
Minimum salary for this position is $70,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick time; paid federal holidays; health, dental and vision coverage; and 401(k) matching. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and life/work balance.
How to Apply
Please apply through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.