Position Title: Staff Accountant
Status: Part Time (20 Hours per week)
Location: Washington, DC or remote
JOB SUMMARY AND KEY PRIORITIES:
The Staff Accountant is responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information; preparing accurate and timely financial reports, statements; ensuring appropriate accounting control procedures are followed. This role works in collaboration with various staff and the organization’s leadership.
The Staff Accountant reports to the Director of Operations and works closely with our Bookkeeper.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization mobilizing young adults to change the culture around mental health. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high schools and colleges, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
- Assists with bill payment system adding new vendors and epay account setup on BILL system, entering invoices, and follow up on payment status
- Assists with reviewing and creating spreadsheets to identify payments and donors, maintaining organized files of documentation of donations
- Assists with gathering report details, grouping transactions in a deposit batch by comparing to bank transactions, and preparing reports for import into Quickbooks
- Assists with expense reporting system (Certify) by sorting credit card charges and reconciling/monitoring report totals for accuracy and completeness, reporting reimbursable expenses for payroll and contract employee payments for BILL
- Prepares other deposit reports as necessary for import into Quickbooks (Facebook, NetworkForGood, Benevity, Paypal GivingFund, etc)
- Performs general accounting and other related duties in the accounting department
- Helps reconcile bank accounts at least monthly, verify that all deposits are classified and recorded correctly
- Helps outside auditors with assistance; gather necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit
- All other duties as assigned.
- Quick learner, capable of understanding and using various financial systems (BILL, Certify, Salesforce, Quickbooks).
- Analytical thinking who is organized and detail oriented.
- Basic understanding of nonprofit accounting principles, A/P, A/R, reconciliations.
- Accustomed to working on multiple projects with different deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and with fellow staff members.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude who enjoys working proactively.
- Problem solver who is eager to find solutions in collaboration with the other team members, when needed.
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief.
YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- 3+ years of professional accounting experience
- Strong Excel skills
- Great written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Excel, Google docs, Dropbox
This position offers an hourly wage rate between $30.00- $33.50, for up to 20 hours per week. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount. The role sits within Active Minds Level 2 salary band, Senior Associate. FLSA Status: Non-Exempt.
Active Minds is an equal opportunity employer that works to advance racial equity and social justice in an increasingly multicultural and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background, intersectional identities, and lived experiences. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities. Active Minds encourages all to apply for our open positions as we depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.