Supporting a friend with a mental health issue or in a stressful situation can be difficult. Here are 9 simple tips that will help get the conversation started. Read more about how to help a friend.
- Choose a suitable time.
- Plan out your message in advance and make it straightforward.
- Be honest and specific. Your friend will value what you have to say.
- Describe what you have been observing (behavior changes, etc.
- Express how you feel about what you have observed.
- Let your friend have a chance to talk and share their point of view.
- Offer recommendations as to what your friend should do next and help them get educated and connected to resources.
- Follow up to make sure they’re doing ok!
- Take care of yourself, and remember not to blame yourself!
For more information about how to help a friend, visit the Active Minds How to Help a Friend page.